Procare officially partners with
Recycle My Salon
To mark Global Recycling Day 2022, we are thrilled to announce that as a long standing member of the HBSA, we have officially partnered with the non-profit initiative Recycle My Salon. The hair salon waste recycling scheme invites salons across the nation to recycle their empty colour tubes, aerosols and used hair foils by ordering a recycling pack and arranging a collection.
CEO of Procare Hair Foils Joe Barry said today, “As the largest manufacturer of hair foil in the UK, we are seeing a growing demand for more sustainable solutions. What we love about HBSA’s strategy is their industry-first approach: They have gathered a range of key stakeholders, from colour houses to wholesalers, to examine the challenges within the market. The result? A coherent solution that implements salon-friendly recycling at an affordable rate.”
Hair salons are one of the biggest contributors to waste on the high street. According to data, 1.3 million beauty tools are sent to landfill each month, while only 1% of foil from salons is recycled. The remaining 99% takes between 200-500 years to fully degrade in landfill.
In conventional recycling schemes, aluminium can only be recycled if it’s clean and uncontaminated – but the new Recycle My Salon scheme accepts foils with excess dye as well as used colour tubes. Once a salon has joined the scheme, the waste is taken to a materials recovery facility (MRF) to be sorted. There, the aluminium is compressed into bales, reprocessed, and rolled into sheet aluminium, from which new packaging can be made. Because of its melting properties, aluminium can be recycled over and over again. In fact, 75% of the aluminium ever produced is still in use today. Recycle My Salon accepts any hair foil, empty aerosol cans, soda or beer cans, foil takeaway containers, empty aluminium tubes, metal bottle tops and foil lids.
At just £40 per collection, Recycle My Salon offers the most inexpensive recycling scheme in the UK, giving salons a convenient, economical next step in their sustainability journey. Existing Procare customers can buy their recycling packs directly from us by contacting their Procare account manager. Non-Procare customers can order their packs here.
Procare’s involvement in Recycle My Salon follows a series of strategic moves to reduce our own environmental impact as a business. As a proud member of Alupro, we ensure that our production waste foil is fully recycled, whilst also taking care to use the most energy-efficient machinery in our warehouse and optimising quality control to minimise our waste.
Together with HBSA and participating partners, we are saying no to landfill by playing our part in fighting climate change. To learn more about Recycle My Salon, click here.